How can you turn ho-hum into “Hi, Hon?” I found 75 ideas that are interesting, simple and things that I might have overlooked without our friends in the “keep marriage strong” realm. I found this list on Marriage Missions and loved it. Granted, it’s a bit modified to what I want to keep in mind…but you can also modify it to fit your lifestyle.
My thought behind this idea? The hubster and I are often going full speed in opposite directions. He’s the exceptional man that provides a wonderful home and life for his family, and loves us without exception. I want to really validate that in Brian’s life. It’s important to me as a wife that I tell him amidst all this crazyness that life wrought int the last year…he’s the true north to my compass. Fanning the flames of my faith in the hubster requires some oh so delicious thought on my part, and a willingness to play on his. Once you have that frame of life, what more could you need?
Fascination street….when that person that you’re married to is honestly hotter than that person chatting you up. The point? 75 moments that you can reignite the flame of love between you and your spouse. With life as chaotic and tough as it can be at times, it takes a special person to look past the day-to-day and find the energy to be more than just so-so. Grab one of these ideas and make it your own.
1. Sketch your dream-house floor plan and talk about each room. Okay, I actually have the house, photos of it, took him on a tour and we’re planning to buy it in the near future. But…it started as an idea.
2. Take a bath or shower together. Use frothy soap. I am a huge fan of bubble baths, and just learned to make my own bath salts. Candles, wine…and lots of bubbles for you and your beloved. Buy the aftershave or body spray that really makes your senses tingle..and tell him how much you love it. Try “Dark Seduction” by Axe for my personal hubster favorite.
3. Write the love story of how you met. Get it printed and bound. The site Shutterfly.com does a wonderful job with softbound books and is oh-so-discreet with your photos. A word to the wise….it’s Shutter FLY. The other alternates are porn sites.
4. List your spouse’s best qualities in alphabetical order. Use both the English and Greek alphabet if you’re so inclined. Don’t be silly, just babelfish.com the translation on Google and you’re as able to write in Greek as I – and I scored A’s for two straight years in grad school Greek. I love the Greek language. Learn enough to say “I love you forever” in your best husky whisper.
5. Tour a museum or an art gallery. Know about the paintings and be able to romance your mate with the info. My hubster found out that the IMA had a new Pissaro on hand and surprised me with the only neo-impressionist painting of my very, very favorite artist. Even when we have both our baby girls (daughter and her best friend I want to adopt) we have a picnic and laugh. Pack wine, cheese, a blanket for two, crackers to nibble and toss the cell phones. If the kids are in tow, bring bubbles to blow, fresh baguettes they can rip with their hands and a dip that you don’t mind being smeared all over the place. Take “baby wipes.” Note about going to the museum…most museums have gardens surrounding them that will host that romantic interlude you are seeking.
6. Park in a secluded area and kiss in your car. Think: the first time. Remember kissing for two hours straight and losing track of time? Remember how you melted into that love of your life?
7. Make your own movie scene—stop and kiss on a bridge as the sun is setting, tie him/her to the bed…just sizzle.
8. Place emphasis on the little changes he/she makes concerning her appearance, specially if it’s something that you bought just for them.
9. Give your spouse a bath and wash their hair. Think slow, sensual,
10. Float on a raft together, in a pool, lake or on the ocean.
11. Take a stroll around the block, and notice the life around you. Talk about something meaningful to you.
12. My husband is great at this: Take your wife away from the kitchen while she’s cooking, and “saute” her with kisses. Think “against the wall, baby!” He is intent on finding me the second that he walks in from his 1.5 hour drive home and saying “I love you” with his whole body.
13. Bring home foods she/he loves to eat but won’t buy for him/herself. (Don’t do this if dieting!) My baby has a penchant for Pinwheel cookies. Don’t ask, I don’t get it…but he know how much I adore cinnamon ice cream, so…..
14. Give each other a back rub. Check at WalMart, Meijer, and most Target stores in the personals section for lube, massage oil and a host of other things you thought places like that didn’t carry.
15. Rent a classic love-story and watch it while cuddling under blankets. (Our favorite at the moment: Breakfast at Tiffany’s)
16. Give your spouse a full on body massage.
17. Walk through model homes and dream about your next house. Steal a kiss in a closet.
18. Stroll around a nearby lake.
19. Sit in front of the fireplace and talk….and stuff. I don’t say that lightly. Brian surprised my with a fire pit that he built from extra brick when the addition of our house was complete. It’s part of a summer porch that I have always loved, now draped in twinkle lights, equipped with music and comfy sitting space. I love being out there with him, watching the fire and listening/talking about life. Dancing has happened. And…stuff.
20. Read to one another in bed. NOT the Drudge report. That was a bust. Think….romance.
21. Take a horse-drawn carriage ride downtown, or around a romantic setting. Hayrides are native to our area…and very fun.
22. Turn the lights down during dinner, or do what I do and light candles all through the house. Candlelight your hallway to your bedroom, and romantically on the dinner table.
23. Send your spouse an unexpected love letter at work.
24. Play music in your bedroom.
25. Go swimming in the middle of the night.
26. Shave your wife’s legs.
27. Shave your husband’s face.
28. Write a poem for your spouse.
29. Run through the sprinklers on a hot day.
30. Look into your spouse’s eyes while she tells you about her day.
31. Make up nicknames for each other.
32. Go the extra mile to please your mate.
33. When you’re the one who’s correct during a discussion, give your spouse a kiss. Focus on your love rather than who’s right.
34. Tell your spouse, “I’m glad I married you!”
35. Fulfill one of your spouse’s fantasies…..which means you have to know what they are and how to pull it off with flair.
36. Hug your husband from behind and give him a kiss on the back of the neck.
37. Stop in the middle of your day and talk to your spouse for 15 minutes. Not about kids, bills or even the mortgage. About life, you and your love. Today, we talked about going paintballing with my BFF and her hubby….then we remembered that Mark is an expert shot and it’d take about five minutes to kill us all off. We opted for race car driving at the Indy experience instead.
38. Create your own special holiday. Think outside the box…a jazz festival, winery, art space…trail riding, NASCAR, or if you’re insane like me, mountain climbing.
39. Place your hand on your spouse’s leg when you’re riding in the car. Hold hands intentionally. Touch intentionally.
40. Send your wife a compliment through one of her friends or colleagues….or email, e-card…you get the idea.
41. Ask for an isolated booth in a restaurant, and then sit right next to each other. My husband took me to a romantic restaurant and asked me to dance…in front of our secluded booth as there was no dance floor. He sang to me. Yeah, I am in love.
42. Become your spouse’s cheerleader when he’s had a terrible day.
43. Tell your spouse, “I love you because…” (Finish the sentence.)
44. Show your wife affection while she’s talking to one of her friends.
45. Sleep in a sleeping bag together.
46. Do something your spouse loves to do, even though it doesn’t interest you.
47. Go horseback riding on the same horse.
48. Photocopy a newspaper cartoon and write your own romantic caption.
49. Write out romantic notes leaving them where your spouse will find them.
50. Cut out romantic photos from magazines and write your own messages on them.
51. While driving, pull over for scenic sights and get out of the car to enjoy God’s creation.
52. Write your spouse affirming love letters and leave them in places they’ll find…like on the milk, or the front seat of the car.
53. Mail your spouse love letters instead of leaving them in the house.
54. Feed ducks together (feed any type of animal as long as it’s not a house pet—the idea is to get outside together).
55. Build a snowman together.
56. Watch the sun come up or go down.
57. Go fishing together with only one pole.
58. Sit on the same side of a restaurant booth.
59. Spontaneously spend the entire day together away from the house.
60. Picnic by a pond.
61. Give your mate a foot massage.
62. Put on perfume or after-shave before going out.
63. Go Skinny-dipping. Even better, buy some really sexy lingerie if you’re the guy from Victoria’s Secret, give her that amazing pink striped box and THEN go skinny dipping.
64. Develop a code word for sex that you can use when you’re in a crowd.
65. Buy your husband or wife a new outfit. Again….think outside the box. Can you say corset? Find a place that sells body clinging lace and stripper heels. Our inner girl screams for four inch heel Mary Jane’s’. Promise, I have three pair….black, red and black lace. All bought on nights out with my hubster, who loves the sexy side of me. Go out dancing and let your hair down.
66. Sing a song to your spouse. Even if you do it badly, it’s amazingly sweet.
67. Let go of helium balloons and watch them race each other out of sight.
68. Buy her a stuffed animal. Buy him a round of golf and then go and read in the cart. Think shooting a 100 is wonderful.
69. Write “I love you” in the dust around the house instead of complaining about it.
70. Set up a manicure, hairstyling, or mud bath appointment for your spouse.
71. Put together a puzzle on a rainy night.
72. Read a romance novel together.
73. Rent a boat, ride the rapids or go canoeing, whatever is available in your area and suits you both.
74. Take a train ride.
75. Ride bikes in the rain.