Want to know more about your personality? This is what I just found out about me….
“Your personality type is dreamy, romantic, elegant, and expressive. Only about 5% of all people have your personality, including 6% of all women and 4% of all men. You are an INFP: Introverted, Intuitive, Feeling, and Perceiving.” Aw, shucks, I think that is pretty neat. It’s also really accurate.
Researching topics for articles that might interest you can sometimes be really uplifting. There were two questions fielded in the girls chat this morning…..if everyone has a baseline personality, which is the most common and the most unusual? What kind of people are we? You can take the test here on the blogthings.com website. It’s a short little quiz that packs a pretty good insight.
What is personality, anyhow? For the English majors out there, Dictionary.com tells us the following:
- The combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual’s distinctive character
- – she had a sunny personality that was very engaging
- – each brand of gin has its own personality
- – she has triumphed by sheer force of personality
- Qualities that make someone interesting or popular
- – she’s always had loads of personality
- A famous person, esp. in entertainment or sports
- – an official opening by a famous personality
- The quality or fact of being a person as distinct from a thing or animal
- Disparaging remarks about an individual
1. Consistency – There is generally a recognizable order and regularity to behaviors. Essentially, people act in the same ways or similar ways in a variety of situations.
2. Psychological and physiological – Personality is a psychological construct, but research suggests that it is also influenced by biological processes and needs.
3. Impact behaviors and actions – Personality does not just influence how we move and respond in our environment; it also causes us to act in certain ways.
So what does this say about we humans? If personality research suggests that we are influances by biological needs, and those bilogicalneeds manifest as human need, your personality will tailor itself to finding and obtaining that which gives it the stimulus or substance that fulfills the void. But what about your mind, connecting with that special essence that is your personality, part of the soul that you are? Intelligence influences different aspects of personality in many different ways. In fact, intelligence is sometimes considered to be part of personality, but not by everyone who studies personality psychology. Intelligence and personality are prominent individual differences in each person, and the answer to “why do I do that?”
Your personality might feel like the root reason for why you are compelled to be different than the people around you. Perhaps you wonder why you are strongly vegan in a meat eating family? Why you have a stronger need for roots and acceptance? Why you’re ultra in shape or competitive? Why you are an introvert like me? Maybe you have a very compelling sexiness about you that is a core to your being, and your personality is driven by that stimulus. Each elemental part of you is encased in that one word…personality. It’s how constructively you choose to be authentic to that person which helps you life a fulfilled life with those you love.
If you want to know more about the “big five” personality dimensions, follow that link to the psych readings at About.com.
The more you understand, the healthier you can choose to be.